Introduction to Health Care Management is a concise, reader-friendly, introductory healthcare management book that covers a wide variety of healthcare settings, from hospitals to nursing homes and clinics. Filled with examples to engage the reader’s imagination, the important issues in healthcare management, such as ethics, cost management, strategic planning and marketing, information technology, and human resources, are all thoroughly covered.
Guidelines and rubrics along with numerous case studies make this text both student-friendly and teacher friendly. It is the perfect resource for students of healthcare management, nursing, allied health, business administration, pharmacy, occupational therapy, public administration, and public health.
- Chapters contributed by real experts using an active voice to grab the reader’s attention.
- Learning objectives and discussion questions in each chapter.
- Instructors’ resources online for each chapter, including PowerPoints, Test Bank, and Sample Syllabus.
- Case studies in a wide variety of settings, in an assortment of healthcare management topics.
- A case study guide, with rubrics for evaluation of student performance, enabling instructors at every level of experience to hit the ground running on that first day of class.
New to the Second Edition
- A new introductory chapter: “Understanding Health Care Management”
- A new chapter on Health Care Marketing
- A new discussion of healthcare planning and examples of planning models
- New contributing authors – experts in their fields
- New section on emotional intelligence
- Over seven new case studies
- Improved case study instructions
- New rubrics
Online resources now include
- Syllabus for 8-week online course
- Key discussion points for each case study
- Role play, simulation, and scripts for students
- Online video references
- Chapter 1 An Overview of Healthcare Management
- Chapter 2 Leadership
- Chapter 3 Management and Motivation
- Chapter 4 Organizational Behavior and Management Thinking
- Chapter 5 Strategic Planning
- Chapter 6 Healthcare Marketing
- Chapter 7 Quality Improvement Basics
- Chapter 8 Information Technology
- Chapter 9 Financing Health Care and Health Insurance
- Chapter 10 Managing Costs and Revenues
- Chapter 11 Managing Healthcare Professionals
- Chapter 12 The Strategic Management of Human Resources
- Chapter 13 Teamwork
- Chapter 14 Addressing Health Disparities: Cultural Proficiency
- Chapter 15 Ethics and Law
- Chapter 16 Fraud and Abuse
- Chapter 17 Healthcare Management Case Studies and Guidelines
About the Authors
- Sharon B. Buchbinder, RN, PhD, is the former Professor and Chair of the Department of Health Science at Towson University and is now President of the American Hospital Management Group Corporation, MASA Healthcare Co, a health care management education and health care delivery organization based in Owings Mills, MD. For over three decades, Dr. Buchbinder has worked in many aspects of healthcare as a clinician, researcher, association executive, and academic. With a PhD in Public Health from the University of Illinois School of Public Health, she brings this blend of real world experience and theoretical constructs to undergraduate and graduate face to face and online classrooms, where she is constantly reminded of how important good teaching really is. She is Past Chair of the Board of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) and co-author of the Bugbee-Falk Award winning, Career Opportunities in Health Care Management: Perspectives from the Field.
- Nancy H. Shanks, PhD, has extensive experience in the health care field. For 12 years she worked as a health services researcher and health policy analyst and later served as the executive director of a grant-making, fund-raising foundation that was associated with a large multihospital system in Denver. During the last 15 years Dr. Shanks has been a healthcare administration educator at Metropolitan State College of Denver, where she has taught a variety of undergraduate courses in health services management, organization, research, human resources management, strategic management, and law. She is currently a Professor in the Health Care Management Program after having served as Chair of the Department of Health Professions for 7 years. Dr. Shanks’ research interests have focused on health policy issues, such as providing access to health care for the uninsured.
- Paperback: 498 pages
- Publisher: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2 edition (2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0763790869
- ISBN-13: 978-0763790868
- Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 7 x 1.4 inches
List Price: $79.95